Kayaking is a great sport and recreational activity that is very rewarding. Although this is quite simple for a natural outdoorsy, it still comes with some risks. Thus, when you are planning your next paddling adventure, make sure to keep these safety tips in mind.
- Have the Necessary Training – Whether it is on safety or skills development, having the proper training on kayaking, canoeing and even in rescuing will prepare you for any untoward incident that may happen.
- Be Aware of the Weather Conditions – Never take the risk of kayaking through rough waters in bad weather condition. Also, be aware of weather changes and off-shore winds that may make it difficult to reach shore.
- Have the Necessary Equipment – During a paddling trip, expect to capsize. So wear your life jacket and your helmet. Also, wear proper attire not only to keep you comfortable but also to protect you from hypothermia. Dry suit or wet suit can help keep you warm when soaked and cool while under the sun.
- Check Your Equipment – Having the right equipment is not enough. You need to make sure that they are functional and in top working condition. Also, never exceed your boat’s weight capacity, and check for wear and tear before going for a ride.
- Know the Area – When paddling in a new area, make sure to get with the locals to familiarize yourself with the currents, weather conditions, patters, routes, shoreline conditions, and the like.
- Follow the Rules – Always abide by the rules of the place you are in so that you will not get yourself in trouble. Also, be considerate of other paddlers. Have the ethics and right conduct, and share paddling resources for a more enjoyable experience.
- Inform Someone about Your Trip – Let someone know where you are going, who you are with, what your itinerary will be, and how long you are expected to be gone. If in the event that you change your plans, let that person know.
Kayaking is fun and an exciting adventure for both amateurs and professionals, and it will be a very enjoyable experience if nothing goes awry. So always prepare yourself and keep these safety tips in mind. If you want a safer Kayaking experience, Boats4Rent will provide the necessary equipment and guidance as you paddle along Lake Pleasant, Oceanside Harbor, Sheraton’s Wild Horse Resort Lake, and Dana Point Harbor. Now, go ahead and keep paddling. Have fun!