Over the years, stand up paddle boarding has become more and more popular. In 2013, it was reported as the outdoor sporting activity with the most first-time participants. Nowadays, people enjoy paddle boarding while standing (SUP) and they have become more engaged on spending time in the water with their friends and family. Not only do they get to be with good company, but they can improve their fitness level in a fun way. And it is no wonder considering it is relatively easy and the perfect activity for the summer!
Here are some of the top health benefits you can gain from stand up paddle boarding:
- A full body workout: All of your muscles are used because it requires balance and your leg muscles will stabilize your center while your arms, back, and shoulders will propel the paddleboard in the water. Your core, back, and abdominal muscles will also work to keep your balance.
- Improves balance: Since you have to stand up on the board, it will require core stability and leg strength to maintain proper balance. It can also increase your focus and balance in your everyday activities.
- Reduces stress: It is only natural that water soothes the body, and exercise can help reduce stress. Aside from the soothing sounds of the water, there is a sensation of walking on water and a rhythm of your stroke. The more you do it, the more you start to loosen up and the stress simply melts away.
- Improves endurance: Stand up paddle boarding gives you the opportunity to learn and master the activity by doing it several times which can increase your endurance. You will start to notice that your balance improves and your muscles do not get as tired as they did the first few times.
- Helps cardiovascular health: Paddle boarding can prevent heart attacks and strokes. Since this activity is similar to running, cross-training, and even aerobics, it can help you improve your cardiovascular health and you will have less risks of gaining other diseases.
- Helps you engage with nature: Going out and being in the water will allow you to engage and appreciate nature. It also has a positive effect on your mental health and overall attitude. Plus, you can get the extra vitamin D from the sun which is very good for you.
- Helpful for rehabilitation injuries: Since paddle boarding is a low impact activity, it is useful for people in rehab to slowly increase their strength without doing any harm. This can be very gentle on muscles and joints.
A lot of people are undecided about trying a stand up paddle board, but once they are aware of all the benefits and excitement it has to offer, they might change their minds and give it a try. If you do not want to purchase your own board, you can always come to Boat Rentals of America as we offer several boat rentals for water sport activities that you can enjoy.